SEND Information Report


 Guston Church of England Primary School

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) policy and Information Report 2016

Ethos Statement 

At Guston Church of England Primary School we believe that the way that we work together, behave with one another and seek to support and nurture others, gives life to our Christian ethos. It is one which is inclusive and seeks to encourage and inspire everyone to achieve their fullest potential.

This Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) policy and information report replaces previous Inclusion policies and outlines our approach to meeting the needs of all our learners. We are committed to providing an appropriate and high quality education for all children and strive to identify barriers to learning through special educational need or disability and to plan appropriately to fully include children in a broad and balanced curriculum.

This policy is written in line with the requirements of:-

Children and Families Act 2014

Special Educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years Code of Practice 2015

SI 2014 1530 Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014

Part 3 Duties on Schools – Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators

Schedule 1 regulation 51– Information to be included in the SEN information report

Schedule 2 regulation 53 – Information to be published by a local authority in its local offer

Equality Act 2010

Schools Admissions Code, DfE 1 Feb 2012

SI 2012 1124 The School Information (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

SI 2013 758 The School Information (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013


This policy should be read in conjunction with the following school policies:

Equality Policy, Accessibility Statement, Teaching and Learning Policy, Homework Policy, Admissions Policy, Behaviour for learning policy, Policy for the Administration of Medicines and the Whole School Provision Map.

This policy was developed with the help of the Governing Body and Parents through meetings and open discussion forums through the website. It remains as an evolving policy to develop in accordance with the needs of our pupils and parents to support outcomes for all children, and will be reviewed as required and at a minimum annually.


All Kent Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities. They are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. At Guston Church of England School we strive to include all pupils including those with special educational needs and disability (SEND) where that is the family’s wish.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

What is the Local Offer?
What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

At Guston Church of England Primary School we have published our SEND Information report in sections under question headings to enable you to quickly find the information you require. Any further information you feel would be helpful at this time can be requested from the Inclusion Manager, Mrs T Tee or the Headteacher, Mrs D Day.


  1. What kinds of special educational needs do the school provide for?
  2. Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ special educational needs or disability (SEND) and what support will I receive?
  3. How does the school know if my child needs extra help?
  4. How will my child and I know if they need extra help?
  5. How will my child be supported in school if they are identified with SEND?
  6. How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?
  7. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?
  8. How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?
  9. How will teaching be adapted so my child can access the Curriculum?
  10. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
  11. How is Guston Church of England Primary School accessible to children with SEND?
  12. How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another class?
  13. What Emotional and Social Development support do we have for a child with a SEND?

The LA Local Offer


The Children and Families Act 2014 requires the Local Authority (LA) and schools to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the ‘Local Offer’.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will help parents and young people to understand the range of services and provision in the local area and contribute to a more equal partnership in planning for the needs of children with SEND. Follow the link below for more details:
<ahref=>About the local offer.


The Special Education Needs Information Report


Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by its policy and the provision available within that particular school. Information detailing the school’s approach to SEND from identification through to support for transition to other key stages/adulthood is detailed in ‘The Special Education Needs and Disability Information’ report.


Areas of Special Educational Need.
The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

A child has learning difficulties if he or she:

  1. Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age.
  2. Has a disability which prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in other mainstream schools.
  3. Is under compulsory school age, and falls within the definition at a) or b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for the child.

Special education provision means:
For a child over two, educational provision which is additional to, or different from, the educational provision made generally for children of the same age in maintained schools, (other than special schools) in the area.
For a child under two, educational provision of any kind.
Children must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because the language or form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught. At Guston Church of England Primary School we strive to include all children regardless of their needs and/or disabilities.


The people to talk to are,

The Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SEND Coordinator (Inclusion Manager) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/Provision map steps, and sharing and reviewing these with parents (at least three times yearly) and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
  • Being a main point of contact for parents at end of day and through homework and/or home contact books as appropriate.

The Inclusion Manager- Mrs T Tee

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND
  • Ensuring that you are
    i) involved in supporting your child’s learning
    ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting
    iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • Liaising with external specialists that may advise on specific programmes for your child or offer staff training e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology, School nursing services, Outreach support from Special Schools etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and ensuring records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.
  • Writing individual care plans for specific conditions and putting safeguards in place for your child’s welfare.
  • Planning for transition in your child’s education between key stages and schools.

The Headteacher – Mrs D Day

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the provision made for children with SEND, and the arrangements for medicines and healthcare plans.
  • Ensuring that your child’s needs are met through appointment of qualified staff within the school including a qualified Inclusion Manager.
  • Updating the Governing Body about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor – Mrs G Farthing

Responsible for:

  • Supporting the school to evaluate and develop quality and impact of provision for pupils with SEND across the school.


How will the school know if my child needs extra help?


The Special educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0-25 years, January 2015, makes it clear that: “all teachers are teachers of pupils with special educational needs”. All teachers at Guston Church of England Primary are responsible for identifying pupils with SEND and, in collaboration with the Inclusion Manager, will ensure that those pupils requiring different or additional support are identified at an early stage.
Assessment is the process by which pupils with SEN can be identified. Whether or not a pupil is making adequate progress, is seen as a significant factor in considering the need for SEN provision.
Our school will use appropriate screening and assessment tools, and ascertain pupil progress through:

  • Evidence obtained by teacher observation/ assessment
  • Their performance judged against age appropriate National Curriculum objectives
  • Standardised screening diagnostic tests and/or assessment tools
  • Reports or observations
  • Pupil conferencing
  • Records from feeder schools, etc.
  • Information from parents
  • National Curriculum results
  • Well-being scales
  • Behaviour logs

All evidence is discussed termly in pupil progress meetings, where concerns are raised by the class teacher with the key stage manager (Mr Wells for KS2, Mrs Rhodes for KS1) and the Inclusion Manager, Mrs Tee.


How will I know if my child needs extra help?


All parents receive annual reports and have an opportunity to meet formally in a parent consultation three times yearly to discuss your child’s progress. The school operates an open door policy and welcomes contributions from parents at any time, although class responsibilities may make certain times of day difficult for the teacher.
If your child is identified as not making expected progress, or significantly below age expected attainment, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

    • listen to any concerns you may have
    • listen to any concerns your child may have
    • plan any additional support your child may need
    • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

Should outside specialist teaching services be involved all reports will be copied to you, and the school will arrange a meeting to allow information and findings to be shared and agree the next steps to support your child further.
If, as a parent, you have any concerns regarding your child’s progress or wellbeing, then you should make an appointment to see the class teacher initially to agree a plan to monitor the situation. If you continue to be concerned, please contact the Inclusion Manager.


How will my child be supported if they are identified with SEND?


a) Class teacher input via quality first teaching
For your child this would mean:

      • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
      • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
      • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
      • Lessons are differentiated well, and other adults in the class are directed well to support the learning.
      • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the teacher, parent, TA or Inclusion Manager) are in place to support your child to learn.
      • Your child’s teacher will monitor their progress and may decide your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding / learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress. In this case an intervention may be planned as an individual or within a group.
          Such an intervention may be:

        • Bespoke support for the individual need, an established intervention programme from the DFE (Department for Education), LA or specialist teaching services, mentoring through social groups or their “special person”, a contact within the school they choose if they need to talk.
        • The intervention may be run in the classroom alongside mainstream lessons or in a withdrawal group outside the class.
        • The intervention may be Teacher or Teaching Assistant led.

For some children a small intervention may impact quickly, however others may be identified as in need of ongoing school support and will be put on the Special Educational Needs register.
b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies
If your child can not progress with additional school support in place the Class Teacher and Inclusion Manager will use further assessment tools to identify their needs. They may then seek permission from you to discuss their learning needs with the relevant agencies: specialist teachers, educational psychology, speech and language etc.
The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support in school.
c) Specified Individual support
This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.
This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.
This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).
Your child will need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, details of this will be specific to your child’s needs and identified in their (EHC Plan).
Obtaining an EHC Plan is for the most severely affected 2.8% of pupils, the majority of which have complex needs and many of whom seek places in Special Schools. The 20 week process of assessment and final decision to award an EHC Plan entails information gathering from children, parents and professionals, including school. All parents have the right to appeal if they disagree with the outcome of such statutory assessment.


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?


The school budget, received from Kent LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND. The money allocated is dependent on the level of need.
The Headteacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
The Headteacher and the Inclusion Manager discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including those children already getting support, those needing extra support and those identified as making less than expected progress. Decisions are then made on the way money may be spent. This may include:

  • supplementary materials in class to support
  • adult learning mentors for particular sessions and activities
  • training of relevant staff
  • purchasing of external services
  • employment of further qualified staff

Your child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

  • Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and support needed. These are reviewed termly as part of the pupil progress meeting.

Should your child have an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP) or learning needs that would not be met by reasonable adjustment of the environment and curriculum, the school can apply for further funds. These are allocated by the SEN support office and are reviewed annually against a child’s needs and demonstrated progress. Money associated with EHCPs have a personal budget and both parents and older children have input into how it is spent, for instance selecting Special School provision. You are encouraged to attend regular meetings to review the provision secured through extra funding.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?


School provision

  • Teaching Assistants
  • Small group programmes
  • Special Person (contact in school for your child)
  • After school clubs
  • Attendance Officer

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Outreach Service, Special School staff that offer training and support in the mainstream in areas like ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders)
  • Specialist Teaching Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Early Help
  • Social Services

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CHYPS (Children and Young People’s Services)

External Organisations operating within school

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • CHATTS Children and Adult Talking Therapy Service


How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?


The Inclusion Manager supports the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and TAs attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.
  • The Inclusion Manager attends Local forums with specialist teaching services, other SENCOs and Inclusion Managers and County representatives to stay abreast of best practice, national initiatives and local pilot schemes.
  • The school seeks advice from local Special Schools.
  • Staff training this year includes Autism Awareness, Dealing with language difficulties in the classroom, Making the most of Play, E-safety for pupils with SEND, Language through Colour, the Language Impaired Child in the Classroom.
  • The school has a mental health champion, Miss Claire Lawrence who leads initiatives to support children with mental health issues around anxiety, depression, self harm, attachment, and other needs.


How will teaching be adapted so my child can access the Curriculum?


Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class. Daily planning takes into account individual pupil’s needs and requirements. Differentiation is approached in a range of ways to support access and ensure that all children can experience success and challenge in their learning.
Adaptations may take the form of additional or adapted equipment, small group or individual work, learning mentors, talk partners, alternative recording methods and writing frames or specialised ICT equipment. A full school provision map is on the SEND page of the school website:
Whilst additional adults are used to support pupils, the school monitors their use closely to avoid children becoming over-reliant on adult support and to encourage children to be self-reliant and independent, thus preparing them for the next steps in their education.
Children’s views on their learning and activities are sought throughout.


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?


Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in reading, writing and mathematics via pupil progress meetings.
  • If your child is in Year 1 or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail, such as reading and spelling age assessments, and attainment against key objectives from the National Curriculum.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) in mathematics and English. This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Those children identified on class provision maps are monitored against specific targets and these are adapted accordingly.
  • Teachers meet with the Inclusion Manager and Key Stage leader termly (6 times a year) as a minimum and as and when required.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • Children receiving High Needs Funding are reviewed three times yearly as a minimum. Parents are asked to attend plan, do, review meetings to add to their understanding of how to support their own children further.
  • The Inclusion Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in. Such interventions are monitored by the Inclusion Manager and Headteacher.


How is Guston Church of England Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school is on one level with easy access via ramps and double doors.
  • Playground areas are accessible to wheelchairs.
  • There are two disabled toilets.
  • We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extracurricular activities are accessible for children with SEND.


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another class?


We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • We will arrange meetings where needed between key staff to share best practice.
  • Where a child has a Statement or EHC Plan, additional transition meetings are drawn up and changes agreed in a formal meeting to protect their provision at transition.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher and the Inclusion Manager.
  • Provision maps and successful strategies are shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child needs extra support the Inclusion Manager will work with them individually.

In Year 6:

  • The Inclusion Manager will discuss the specific needs of your child with relevant staff at their secondary school. Where special schools and special units are involved a further meeting with parents is usually arranged.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.


Service Children:

  • Service children are particularly vulnerable in transition and a PIP (Pupil Information Profile) is completed on their transfer to highlight key information regarding their learning behaviours and needs. This profile highlights best approaches to support them in the classroom and their most recent assessments.


What Emotional and Social Development support do we have for a child with a SEND?


The emotional health and well being of children is paramount to their happiness and success in learning. As a small school we have a strong supportive Christian ethos to provide a secure and caring environment. To support the children we offer a range of pastoral strategies and interventions which are identified on our school provision map, see the Inclusion section of the website.
Our school has a range of policies regarding Child Protection, Recruitment, Equal Opportunities, Assessment, Behaviour Management, Risk assessments, Administration of Medicines policy, Accessibility plans and SEND to keep our children safe and well. These are all accessible on the website.

Our school Inclusion Manager works in the role of a Family liaison Officer (FLO) as well as a SENDCo to offer support to both parents and children regarding social and emotional well-being. Mrs Tee is the first point of contact for in school or outside services.

Social skills and play groups are run as needed to support children to settle to school and make friends. Children identified as not engaging fully in school life through observation in class or at play, or who raise any concerns are discussed on a termly basis as with those that show learning difficulties.

External specialist support is sought for any child who continues to cause concern at home or at school through accessing specialist teaching services and therapy group support. External counselling services are purchased by the school when needed.
Please see the section on the school provision map detailing pastoral care and support services available to your child and/or family.