Guston Primary School believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Guston Primary, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Guston Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net-games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities. Children can attend after school sport clubs four evenings per week.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Each year a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become Sports Leaders for the school. They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with lunch-time clubs, our annual Sports day and any other Sporting activities.
- Children participate in workshops covering a variety of sports throughout the year. For example archery, outdoor and adventure, cheer leading and cultural dancing, again providing the children with an opportunity to develop, improve their fitness and to try something new.
- Children in Year 4 and 5 swim once a week for 10 weeks during the Summer Term.
- Children take part in the Physical 15 every morning to help meet the government target of all children being active for at least 60 minutes a day.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.
See below links to sports clubs in our area:
Click Here to see our Galleries, Blogs, Calendar Events & News Items